Grunge (the way i remember it)

the shotgun blast sounded from Seattle to Alabama
the Lyrics were like gravity to me then

Their downward spiral(s) happened on camera
burned on vinyl (the baby chasing the dollar bill)

i can't really remember 
when i first heard 

His broken voice 
over an open chord

i think it may have been mid winter
i was a teenager awkward & anxious

this music was the only thing that mattered 
(along with a handful of books)

what was it? (the only thing of importance)
Cobain, Eddie Vedder & J.D. Salinger...

some of these Artists were martyrs
or so i believed at the time

i saw Their stripes 
Their nylon straps

Their tortured eyes 
above flannel covered tracks

i could listen to Them confide
They would speak through my speakers

i slept with my guitar on my lap
This meant something

i still may not
quite grasp what....

5 comments:

  1. The day the music died!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very thought-provoking poem. I'm trying to visit all the A-Z Challenge Blogs this month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great poem! thought provoking and rhythmic.:)
    Great A-Z post!
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that! And I love grunge...still! I live in Seattle and it's ingrained in us here. Alice in Chains is my all time favorite! I so miss Layne Staley. Great G word!

    It's nice to meet you. I'm a new follower via the A to Z.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yep, this is it! :D exactly!

    ReplyDelete